Episode 21: Sitting Down for the Algorithm Anthem
Welcome to the Tech Gypsies podcast, Kin Lane and Audrey Watters' weekly discussion of the latest technology (and political) news.
In this episode, we talk about algorithms, markets, and political protest.
Here are some of the stories we referenced:
- "When this is over, you will have nothing that you want" by Garrison Keillor
- "SpaceX Rocket Explodes at Launchpad in Cape Canaveral" in The New York Times
- "Did Facebook Defame Megyn Kelly?" in The Atlantic
- "Almost no one really knows how Facebook's Trending algorithm works, but here's an idea" via NiemanLab
- "Mark Zuckerberg meets Pope Francis, gives him a drone" in Techcrunch
- "Facebook recommended that this psychiatrist's patients friend each other" in Fusion
- "What Facebook and WhatsApp’s Data Sharing Plans Really Mean for User Privacy" via the EFF
- "Predictive Policing Software Is More Accurate at Predicting Policing Than Predicting Crime" by the ACLU
- "The Score" by Audrey Watters
- "People Telling Me Markets Will Work Things Out And I Should Not Complain" by Kin Lane
Feedback is welcome. (You should email Kin with it though, not Audrey.)