Episode 4: "The Gilded Age"
Welcome to the fourth episode of the Tech Gypsies podcast, Kin Lane and Audrey Watters' weekly discussion of the latest technology news.
In this episode, we discuss Uber and Lyft's defeat at the ballot box in Austin, the failures of the technology press, the horrors of the Techcrunch homepage, and Burning Man for tech's 1%.
Here are the stories we discussed:
- "Prop 1 goes down as activist proclaims: 'Austin made Uber an example'" in the Austin-American Statesman
- "The Secret Culprit in the Theranos Mess" in Vanity Fair
- The Techcrunch homepage (Screencapped below)
- "This Tech Bubble is Bursting" in The Wall Street Journal
- "'Burning Man for the 1%': the desert party for the tech elite, with Eric Schmidt in a top hat" in The Guardian
Since this was just our fourth runthrough, it's still a little rough, we recognize. Feedback is welcome. (Send it to Kin, not Audrey. She hates email.)